There are right and wrong ways on how to fold a suit jacket for luggage. If you don’t want wrinkled suits and jackets when you reach your destination, then you are in the right place.
I just hate getting to my meetings or on vacation, and the first thing I have to do is iron. Now don’t get me wrong, I love to iron, you know, that instant gratification thing, but not when I have other things to do.
Is A Garment Bag A Better Idea On How To Fold A Suit Jacket For Luggage?
A garment bag to carry on or one that is check-worthy is a great idea. But if you still want to fold that suit, here are ways to accomplish the job and arrive at your destination with a wrinkle-free jacket.
There is definitely more than one way to accomplish this task, and all of them may be the right way. But first, is folding a suit jacket the right way, or do you need carry-on luggage for your suit?
How do you pack a suit in a suitcase without wrinkles?
How to fold a suit jacket for luggage is best accomplished with one of these 4 methods.
The cleaner bag method
Inside out method
Lapels Touch Method
The Rolling Method
How To Fold A Suit Jacket For Luggage Folding Methods
It is helpful to have a video to explain each process, so I have a couple to share with you.
Folding Method #1 – How To Fold A Suit Jacket For Luggage With The Cleaner Bag Method
It is helpful to have a plastic covering for your jacket. A dry-cleaning bag works well because it is thin, flexible, and free. With this in mind, the first method is the most simple to accomplish with only 2 steps.
- Put the dry cleaner bag on the jacket (keep it on the hanger)
- Fold it in half and put it in your suitcase.
Method #2 – How To Fold A Suit Jacket For Luggage With The Inside Out Method
- Hold the jacket by the center of the collar.
- Put your hand in the arm hole and push through until the arm (shoulder only) is inside out. Do this on both sides.
- Fold the jacket back so the outside shoulder seams are together
- Lay it on a flat surface and tri-fold it, and put it in your suitcase or carry-on bag
GQ Video Of Cleaning Bag Method And Inside Out Method
Method #3 – How To Fold A Suit Jacket For Luggage With The Lapels Touch Method
- Put your hands into the arm holes of the suit jacket
- Bring your hands together toward the back of the coat (this will bring the lapels together.)
- Match the lapels up with one hand and pull the color up with the other hand
- Now lay it down and flat fold it in half lengthwise
- Then fold it in half at the natural crease.
Video By Irvin Shendow On The Lapels Touche Method
Method #4 – How To Fold A Suit Jacket For Travel With The Rolling Method
How to roll a suit jacket for travel with the rolling method is an age-old way taught by the Navy for packing clothes. It is a space-saving way as well as cuts down on travel wrinkles.
- While holding the suit with each hand inside the shoulders, turn the left shoulder inside out.
- Move the right shoulder into the left shoulder to form a lengthwise fold.
- Lay it down on a flat surface and smooth it out with your hands
- Use a rolled T-shirt or a roll about that size and place it inside the collar area of the jacket.
- Then using the roll as a guide, begin rolling the suit jacket to the end
- Place it into your suitcase rolled to prevent major wrinkles.
Video By John Chow – The Rolling Suit Method
Additionally, in his video, we also get a bonus on how to roll dress pants.
How To Fold A Suit Jacket For Luggage – Conclusion
This concludes our tutorial on the best way to fold a suit jacket for travel to prevent clothes wrinkles. All the methods are functional and will accomplish your goal, but some are more space-saving than others. Not to mention, you can also apply the same clothing maintenance process for dress shirts.
Happy travels, my friends.